Each fall we hold a Back to School Retreat for Youth Groups. The title of the event is Advance. This year my team and I put together a back-lit Advance for the stage.
We started by setting up sheets of insulation foam with wood supports. Then projected and traced the word on to the foam using the font we were using for the poster. Then we used a hot knife to cut out the letters. The cutting process took longer then expected but we added a day to our normal setup.
After it was all cut out. We painted it black to match the wall behind.
Once the paint dried we stapled white fabric on the back side and back-lit it with LED strips. The fabric we had, so that saved us some money. We used a single piece for each letter to eliminate seams. We stapled the center of the a’s and d from the back through the white fabric so they were floating.
This setup took a couple of days, but was totally worth it. We were able to save the inside of the letters and hung them up outside on a fence. Next year we will paint them white and use them for the stage.